Question
Posted by: Martie | 2009/11/23

Omega 3 supplement

Dear Doc
I have recently started taking a 1000mg Salmon oil supplement daily. I have noticed that my skin has become VERY oily, and I get cellulitis-type pimples on my face - really deep, wide-spread and sore. I thought that the additional omega 3 would be good for my body - why the bad skin reaction? Should I discontinue the supplement? Your advice is appreciated. Kind regards

Dear Martie
I must admit that I have not heard of omega-3 fatty acids making the skin oily and/or causing pimples. I would recommend that you consult a Dermatologist to find out if the skin condition is being caused by the salmon oil/omega-3 or if it is due to other factors. Otherwise cut out the salmon oil for a month to see if your skin improves and if not, see the Dermatologist. In general omega-3 supplementation is used to improve skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis.

1

Dear Martie