Question
Posted by: Nikolaas | 2010/01/11

omega 3-rich fish

The research on omega 3 nutrition was primarly done in Scandinavia, so the fish sources recommended for omega 3 intake are mostly fish that have to be imported to South Africa. What about our own fish, such as kabeljou, geelbek, yellowtail, black bream etc? (I live in a village with a handline fishing fleet.)

Dear Nikolaas
You can eat all the fish you mention and pilchards, snoek, harders, etc to boost your omega-3 intake. The rule of thumb is that the fish should be 'fatty' to contain omega-3. I don't have the analytical results for some of our local fish, but as long as the fish has a relatively high fat content, it should contain omega-3 fatty acids (e.g. barbel). Even just eating white fish like hake which has a lower fat content, three times a week, is known to lower heart disease.
Enjoy the fishing and the eating!

1

Dear Nikolaas
Enjoy the fishing and the eating!