Posted by: Woolly | 2009-04-16

Omega 3 and 6 and weightloss

Hi Dietdoc

It' s me again. I still have PMS and no period. (I am now 4 days late and still telling myself my period is late because I recently started on Weigh-less). Maybe I' m just in denail....

Anyway. The PMS is worse than ever and I have cut down a bit on my water to see if I then retain less water. I also went to the chemist and she gave me magnesium, Vit B and Omega 3, 6 and evening primrose oil capsules.

I am concered that this will affect my weight-loss. Surely the oil in these capsules are fatty?

I am obsessed about my weight loss at the moment and I am determined to lose the weight I need to lose (even if it means that I can' t take the capsules).

I know this all sounds inane in the face of the fact that I might be pregnant, but somehow I know I' m not...

Are they a fat? Should I take them?

Dear Woolly
You are the only person on earth who can take the decision if you are going to swallow the magnesium, vitamin B6 and omega fatty acids the pharmacist has provided you with. Omega-3 and -6 and primrose oil are all oils, but you will be taking such tiny amounts that this will not make a difference to your energy intake. If you take 1 gram of oil it will supply you with 9 kcal or 0,6% of your daily energy intake!! If this is going to make you feel better and combat the PMS and perhaps even bring on your period (?) then the sensible thing is take the capsules.
If your period continues to stay away, then please do have a pregnancy test to stop all this uncertainty. Stress can make you weigh more due to water retention and build-up of hormones like cortisol, so getting all this doubt out of your mind will also help.