Posted by: Doris | 2012-09-30

Omega 3

Hi. I''m 51,female, and a skin clinic has advised that I take 3000-4000mg of Omega 3 oils per day as my skin is very dry. Does this seem reasonable to you? When I look at the various RDA they are below her recommendations. I don''t eat any oil/fats/butter at all. Regards Doris

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Doris, my apologies for the long delay with my response and thank you for the question.

The Omegas can improve the fatty content of the skin but I would also consider finding the underlying cause of the cause. Dry skin or Xerosis may have a number of causes and your best option would be to see a dermatologist who can examine the skin and exclude any medical conditions.
There are typical changes in our skin as we age including the inability to form certain vital enzymes, pre cursors and hydrating molecules, which may be the cause of what you are experiencing. If this is the case, one can stimulate these with glycolic acid peels and combining topicals that contain hyaluronic acid.