Question
Posted by: Anne | 2012/03/17

Omega 3

Does it make a difference whether one takes fish omega3 tablets or the ones derived from flaxseed? I do not like the after taste of the tablets derived from fish oil but am concerned that I am wasting my time with the others. I also do not really like fish - so getting the real thing does not work for me either. I will value your advice.

Dear Anne
I have discussed this question about marine vs plant omegas with some of the leading experts in the field in SA and the UK, and the general consensus is that omega-3 derived from fish (either salmon, or Krill or other fatty fish) is superior to omega-3 derived from plants. The reason is that omega-3 derived from fish oil already contains the most active forms of omega-3, namely EPA and DHA, whereas omega-3 products derived from plants contain ALA which has to first be converted into the more active forms of EPA and DHA in the human body. Try using the omega-3 derived from Krill (tiny marine organisms) as this does not have a fishy taste.

1

Dear Anne