Question
Posted by: Shay | 2009-02-05

Olive oil

If I need to use oli for cooking I only use olive oil now someone has told me it is not good to cook with olive oil (something to do with heating the oil) is there any truth in this.

Dear Shay
Olive oil is one of the very best oils you could possibly use being rich in monounsaturated fatty acids that protect the heart. The only thing that could affect the quality of any oil, not just olive oil, is if it is used over and over again for deep frying. The high heat and repeated heating causes changes in the fatty acid composition of the oils and this can have a negative effect on health. So use your olive oil in cooking and salads and even for frying, but remember to discard the oil after frying.
Enjoy