Posted by: Moneypenny | 2012-06-27

Older dog not feeling well

Dear CyberVet
Our 11-year old border collie cross started feeling ill at the weekend. She has a runny tummy, had a tad less energy and whitish gums. We took her to the vet on Monday. They tested whether she has an infection or tick bite fever, but she didn''t - just low blood pressure and a bit of gas. The vet prescribed a probiotic and antibiotics, and a home-cooked rice and chicken diet. The night after her first dose of medicine, she threw up three times - the first was all the food from the previous day, the latter two just bile. Not foamy or frothy, just solid bright yellow liquid. As she was still eating (quite enthusiastically, I might add), we gave her some more food and medication the following morning. It stayed in, and her stools are even better (it actually has form). She is however still a bit lethargic, and she threw up again this morning. Only bile this time, no food. Can you maybe tell me whether the vomiting of bile could be due to the antibiotics? We add the medication to her food so she doesn''t notice. I''m a bit worried by the vomiting at night. She is so old, I don''t want her to be uncomfortable.

Hi Moneypenny

It is very possible that certain antibiotics may cause vomiting. I would advise that you return to your vet and ask him for his/her opinion. Your vet may decide to undertake blood tests to ensure that your Border Collies organs are functioning correctly.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: Deisy | 2012-08-04

good day maam..ask ko lang po if meron ba kayong catpher dito sa davao pwede po bang humingi ng number po nila for questions and clarifications ano po ba mga requirements para maging member.thanks

Reply to Deisy
Posted by: Tanya | 2012-06-29

Moneypenny.... 11 years is a good age for your breed and size of doggie - in human years thats about 77 years old.
Symptoms dont sound great must admit, but the diet that the vet has suggested, further visits to the vet if necessary and careful monitoring of doggy''s condition is about all you can do.
Truely hope he/she recovers.

Reply to Tanya