Question
Posted by: SK | 2009-02-04

Old sperm

I read somewhere that men must ejaculate regualrly to ensure that their sperm is " fresh"  so to speak in order to avoid DNA problems that could result in birth defects. Is this true? If so, how often should men ejaculate to ensure that their sperm is fresh?

We are trying for our second baby. Had intercourse last night but then I got to worrying because we havent had sex for about three weeks (I have been ill). If we concieved last night would the " old sperm"  factor be something to worry about. PLease advise

Dear SK

Sperms that are not so called “fresh” will not in anyway increase your chances of having babies born with birth defects. It may however contribute to a decrease ability to conceive. I do not think you have something to worry about.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Dee | 2009-02-10

I dont think there is such a thing as old sperm. its possible that the sperm will die if it is not ejaculated so will not be able to fertilise an egg.

Reply to Dee