Posted by: Chris | 2009-11-25

Old shoulder injury

I injured my shoulder a few years ago playing school rugby. At the time i went through physio. Ever since then if I move my arm in certain ways or lift heavy things my arm clicks right out of its socket. Its not really painfull and is easy to put back in. Im worried of the long term effects of this and it can also be very inconveinient at times. How can I strengthen the muscle around it to lower the frequency of this happening? Is it something to worry about later on in life? My access to doctors is very limited due to finances. Please keep this in mind when advising. I' m 21years old

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Chris,

you suffer from what is referred to as: "post-traumatic recurrent instability " of the shoulder. You obviously sustained a shoulder dislocation at the first injury and now it dislocates continually. With the repeated dislocations you are causing more and more damage to the shoulder- usually the edge of the socket wears away and the dislocations will become easier and easier. You are young and should have it seen to:it will need an operation to stabilise it - if you see a shoulder expert he will most likely determine that you have a significant bone loss from the socket adn would suggest an operation to correct it.

Do you have a hospital close to you - where do you live? Look at our website and then at "instability" for more information on this topic - you will also see the e-mail address where you can contact us direct for further information

Dr Joe de Beer