Posted by: sssnoopy | 2009-09-20

Old mom

Mt mom who is nearing 85, suddenly got pains in hr back and left leg,

I have taken her to the doc and a Chinese Chiropracter,

She has two large humps, if I can call it that, You know when one get old you walk with your face near the ground
The second hump is from above her hips down to her butt.It seems like the spine is pinching on a nerve and also stopping blood flow.

She has been on painkillers, anti inflammatories etc for 3 weeks now and even a chiropartaic session has not helped.

I am quite frantic now as she is in pain 24/7 she has high blood pressure and fast shallow breathing.
She also has no medical aid or hospital plan,

Also I doubt whether she could take an anethsetic and the pain after an op.

Any suggestions please

It sounds like she is suffering from severe osteoperosis or another form of severe degenerative spinal disease.

Please do not take her to the chiropractor again, as manipulation of the spinal column can cause more problems. The only suggestion I have is that you consult with a physiotherapist to address muscle spasm and muscle wasting. The only exercise that she should be doing is swimming and exercise activities in a pool.

You can also consult a pain specialist. It is very important to use the right pain medication in order to alleviate her symptoms and not medication that will cause harm to her liver and stomach.

An orthropaedic surgeon can help with the correct diagnosis and also a pain management plan.