Question
Posted by: Penelope | 2011/09/23

Old dog leaking urine

Dear CyberVet
We adopted a rescue dog (10-year old border collie rough collie mix) 4 months ago. We took her to the vet immediately and a thorough health check and blood work revealed she was as fit as a fiddle. Recently she''s been " leaking"  urine without her knowing (she didn''t do this when we got her). Also, the past two weeks she''s wet her bed twice at night, even though we take her out to wee last thing at night, and first thing in the morning. I don''t think she normally knows it''s happened, but when it happens in bed, she obviously notices and then washes herself for hours.

Can anything be done and do you think it could be serious?

Thanks!

Dear Penelope

I would advise that you take your beloved dog to the vet to have some diagnostic tests (blood test +/- urine analysis +/- X-rays) conducted to determine why your Border Collie is leaking urine.

Your vet will need to identify whether your pet has a condition that 1) increases the production of urine – for example chronic kidney disease, diabetes mellitus, cushing’s disease e.t.c. or 2) increases the frequency of urination - for example cystitis, bladder stones e.t.c or 3) has a disorder of urine storage –urinary incontinence.

From the results obtained your vet will be able to prescribe you the appropriate medication to help alleviate the symptoms.

Please phone your vet and ask his/her advise on the matter.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/09/28

Dear Penelope

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet