Question
Posted by: Shoes | 2011/02/11

Old dog barks constantly

Hi there,

I have a 11 year old Jack Russell who barks at the wind! I get up several times at night to check what he is barking at, but cannot see anything. He often just lies in his kennel and lets out half a bark. When I open the front door, he comes rushing in, but then continues with his barking.

I have two small children who I also tend to at night, so I am desperate for some sleep. Are there any tips you can give me?

Thank you.

This could be one of 2 things - attention seeking behaviour and the fact that you respond to him unfortunately reinforces his "bad behaviour" I realise that you cannot ignore him - but the behhaviourist can help you - it could also be CCD Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (old age brain changes) it can be treated with a drug called Karsivan or even by trying Hills B/d (Brain Diet)

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/17

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/11

Why don''t you let him sleep inside?

Are you sure there isn''t someone prowling about?

Reply to Chill