Question
Posted by: Margaret | 2011-08-17

Old Dog +- 16 years

My mother moved into a flat and i looking after her dog (poodle) + - 16 years old. We staying in a house, he cant stay outside while we are working, so now this dog is staying in my house and make a mess, we let him out only when we arrive at home, the reason for that, is because we have our own dogs and they dont like him at all, and will bite him.

Now my problem, this dog make a mess all over in my house, he pee pee in my lounge, kitchen, he also pee in his own sleeping bed.

How could we teach him to do it on newspaper,( the pee-pee)?
and what can we apply on our fridge, etc, so that he does''nt do it.?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Margaret, I think that the first thing you should do is take the dog to your vet for a check up. A dog seldom soils where it sleeps and there may be a physical cause to the behaviour, especially considering the dogs age.If that is the case nothing you do from a behaviour or training point of view will help.

After you have checked and dog has a clean bill of health, clean all soiled areas with a mixture of 1/3white vinegar to 2/3 water sever times, then put some pure citronella oil on the areas which will stop the dog from doing it again.

Then start toilet training again right from the beginning by taking the dog to an area (the toilet for example) at the times it needs to eliminate and leave it there to do its business. You will have to check the dogs daily routine first to see what approximate times these are. After the dog eliminates, praise, say 'good wee'wee's) or similar and offer a treat. During this time you need to supervise all the time and if you see the dog sniffing, rush it to the new place. As the dog gets the hang of this, then start to take away pieces of the paper over about a week until you are left with paper in the corned (or where you want it), that will become the new toilet. Good luck but with a dog this old it is not going to be easy to change - will take time, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-18

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert