Question
Posted by: Daphne | 2008-12-15

OLD BOERBOEL URGENT PLEASE

My boerboel is now 11 years old and are getting more aggresive by the day. She has a decreased appetite and is now losing some serious weight. Sometimes the lovable soft hearted dog of old shines through and other times she wants to bite if you only walk past her. She does have althrites and I suspect she' s going blind. I have a 14 month old toddler and I am scared she' ll bite him again. I feel guilty for wanting to put her down. Am I making the right choice?

Daphne

At 11 years with nthose symptoms a brain growth would be a possibility. With a 14 month old in the house you do not have much choice.

5
Posted by: DAPH | 2008-12-22

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR EVERYONE' S REPLIES. WE TOOK MY DOG ' BABY'  TO THE VET WHO ADVISED US TO HAVE HER PUT TO SLEEP AS HER CONDITION WOULD NEVER IMPROVE. SHE WENT JUST ABOUT COMPLETELY BLINS AND COUPLED WITH THE PAIN AND AGE GAVE UP ON LIFE. I WILL SURELY MISS HER AND WILL LOOK OUT FOR HER IN THE AFTERLIFE WHERE I AM SURE SHE WILL BE WAITING FOR ME.

Reply to DAPH
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-15

Old dogs don' t necessarily become aggressive - there' s a distinct possibility that your dog is either in pain, unwell, or perhaps can' t see/hear well and gets a fright when people approach ' suddenly' .

You owe it to the dog to have her checked out by a vet, because if she is in discomfort, then that must either be treated, or she must be put to sleep.

Meantime, you owe it to the humans around to keep them safe - so don' t wait around, go and talk to your vet, and follow his advice.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008-12-15

I agree with WR .. the other thing is an old dog could possibly be in pain and that would tend to make him aggressive.

I would seriously consider have the old boy PTS I think . It will be kinder for him, unless its possible to keep the LO away from him.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2008-12-15

The dog is getting old and most probably a little senile. Going blind will not help. Consider keeping her away from strangers and kids and give her a peaceful last few months/ years.
And a thorough check-up by your Vet could maybe shed light on some other problem.

As for Chivaz' s mom' s comment - no comment.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chivas' s mom | 2008-12-15

Boerboel owner as well, Chivas' s is now 5...
5 years ago- i had a border collie, and also noticed something changed in him- became very aggresive, with the same..losing weights and not wanting to eat and also snapping- please note this dog was only 2...one day my father phoned half crazy- this dog attacched my daughter- aged two- he ripped her face to shreds, she was looking very very bad. But- she lived and today all that remains is scars on her face and neck (nasty ones). I phoned the Border Collie Assc a week prior saying that the dog must be taken away or else i' ll put it down seeing I noticed increased aggresion and other things, they obviously did nothing. When i phoned them again from ICU after the attacked the woman had the nerve to tell me '  i must think of the wellbeing of the dog- whilst my daughter was fighting for her life due to loss of blood, shock and so forth... I told this woman that when i get out of ICU- and i get home and this dog is still in my yard i will either shoot it, or chase it into the road... Please follow your instinct as a mom and a dog owner. If you fear the worst- act now before it is too late.
Whilst saying that- i have spoken to a child chrink and ask his help with preventing my child having a fear of dogs- he said...get another. I got Chivas...we love her as another child in the family- but we also remember that she is HUGE and very strong and taught the kids to never mess with her, they respect her very much and also love her to bit, as she does them.
I am sorry this has happened and you are seeing certain things that came up now. A dog can be our best friend...but can also cause a terrible amount of damage to a small child. I too would be afraid (if i put myself in the dog' s place) going bllind and not really knowing what' s happening around you, being old and having ache' s and pain' s... Good luck Daphne

Reply to Chivas&#39 s mom