Question
Posted by: T | 2011-01-26

Old ankle injury

In 1998, I ran with boots on which was just above my ankle there was a ditch in the road and not looking at the road I landed up stepping in it, I never stopped but got up and got straight onto my bus.

I managed to seat myself down and almost feinted on the bus, I was busy dying of pain at this stage, I got off the bus and could not walk. By that night it was pulsating so badly that not even elevating my leg helped with pain.

My husband had a very serious accident and was in hospital at this time so my ankle accident was the last thing on my mind.

Needless to say, that morning I was totally incapacitated and could not walk even though I forced myself to do so, my foot was almost three times the normal size and was black/purple with severe pain. I never had this seen to and after about 3 months the yellow looking skin started to fade it took about 4 months to heal on its own.

I think I may have broken my ankle as it was that bad, but only realised that a few years later because ever since then I seem to sprain my ankle on the slightest little stone if I step on it un-evenly.

I would like to know if it is possible that I possibly broke the ankle?
Is it possible that because of that accident I can get pains that are so severe not often but sometimes that the pain feels like it is shooting up into my ankle bone?

T

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello T, It sounds like you had severe sprain/damage of your ankle ligaments. When you take a ligament beyond its physiological length it is permanenty stretched and you are likely to sprain it further. Due to the severity of the accident it is likely that you may have damaged the surrounding anatomy. I would recommend that you consult your local osteopath for treatment.

1
Posted by: osteopath | 2011-01-31

Reply to osteopath