Question
Posted by: Embi | 2012/09/04

OLD AGE

I am 50 and my husband is 65 He got cancer twice and had to stop working and is now on a state pension. He might need special care, because tha last cancer was bad. I also have some health problems. We had to sell our property to survive. I want to know if there are old age homes who take people who cannot afford an expensive old age home and what will the implications be on me,(pshycological wise), who is much younger than him. I cannot go to a place where I am between people of 80 years etc. Any advice will be welcome, - I''m not sure where to post this question. Thank you.

I hope other readers can provide useful advice here - and it'd help if you could post a response to this clarifying WHERE in SA you live. Over-all, state provision for the elderly is disgraceful. I seem to remember that recently with regard to a similar question an excellent origanization in the Cape was recommended, and perhaps people would know if it has branches elesewhere, or of there are similar organizations elsewhere in SA. As I'm in a similar status, I'd be interested to see the responses here.

2
Posted by: Embi | 2012/09/04

I am in the Cape near Hermanus. Thanks for your answer. I would like find out which organisation, but the age difference between me and my husband may be problematic. I don''t know what their criteria is.

Reply to Embi