Question
Posted by: Tebo | 2011/03/28

Old age

Good day doc

I stay with my 90+ years old grandmother. Two years ago she started talking about occurences that never happened. She says she is scared people are planning her death. She would accuse some people for insulting her and trying to chase her from her home, etc. How do I deal with this? What must I do? How do I respond to her " imaginative"  mind? This could be old age, but do Ineed to take her to a doctor for proper diagnosis and medication?

She lost her husband 29 years ago, her beloved daighter (my mother) 27 years ago, her own parents 24 years ago. She never showed any emotions or pain. She is shy in nature and not very talkative. She brought me up and I always knew her as an anxious and untrusting person to other people. She did not have any friends except for our neighbour and her sister-in-law whom she also did not trust much. She would make sure the door and windows are locked even when I have locked them.

Hallo Tebo
the symptoms your grandmother are experiencing could be due to dementia (brain dysfunction) In old people this can be caused by simple and treatable things like low levels of potassium in the blood or vitamin deficiency or medication side effects. In a small percentage of cases this is caused by repeated small strokes of the brain or Alzheimer's disease. Please take her to a doctor so that they can test her blood to see if she has enough salts and vitamins in the blood, to evaluate her medication and if needed to refer her to a neurologist for evaluation. If she has brain damage due to small strokes or Alzheimers they can prescribe something she can take to stay calm and be less agressive.

2
Posted by: Tebo | 2011/03/31

Thank you Doctor!

Reply to Tebo
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/28

Hallo Tebo