Question
Posted by: LYNDA | 2010/05/18

OILY SKIN

I am 37 year old female and am really battling to control my oily skin and fine pimples I wash my face, use a toner and wear no makeup or sunblock cause within minutes my skin is covered with a oily / sweat like sheen. This is really becoming embarassing. My skin looks old and scarred. I also have developed deep lip wrinkles and deep lines from nose to mouth. And people say you age less quickly if you have an oily skin. I have tried every product recommended for oily skin to no avail. I have tried laser treatment, thermage, etc. I have used Vitamin C cream, Retinol, Diane etc. Absolutely nothing helps.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lynda, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would need to examine the skin first before deciding on the best treatment options.

Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist who can examine the area/s of concern and one can decide on the treatment approach.

Generally speaking one should have a specific skin care regime and I would recommend the following:
Use oil free moisturizers, SPF, and any makeup or any other topical products you may be using. A good SPF is vital for your skin and we tend to use Heliocare Gel SPF 50 (as it is oil free) on all our acne and oil prone skin patients.
Do not pick or squeeze the acne or blemishes on the skin.
GENTLY wash your face twice daily with a foamy wash and I would not use granular scrubs, brushes or anything that may exfoliate the skin (do not aim for a ‘squeaky clean’ skin). Furthermore I would also consider stopping the toner and if you are using any cleanser.
Specifically use products that are indicated for the treatment of mild acne. NeoStrata do have a range for acne/oily skin treatment, but it is important to know that similar ingredients may be found with Nimue, Environ, etc.
From the NeoStrata range I would recommend the following:
NeoStrata Clarifying Cleanser
Oil Free Lotion SPF 15 (day)
Oil Control Gel (night)
Spot Treatment Gel.
Clear Skin Solution (once or twice daily)

Following all of the above your dermatologist may recommend a low dose Roaccutane course (one or two tablets a week).

2
Posted by: Lynda | 2010/06/02

I have used every product you have recommended and others specifically for a oily skin. I do not use sunscreens or moisturisers as this makes my oily skin worse. I have tried pore refiners to no avail...its as if the oil just seeps through. I do not consume oils neither fats in my diet so where does this oil come from ???? I have been on Roaccutane as a teenager.

Reply to Lynda
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/05/22

Hi Lynda, thank you for the question.

NeoStrata Clarifying Cleanser
Oil Free Lotion SPF 15 (day)
Oil Control Gel (night)
Spot Treatment Gel.

Reply to anti-ageing expert