Question
Posted by: lily | 2008/08/29

oily and spotty skin

i have terribly oily skin and i use oxy face wash and johnson' s oil control cream. i also use oxy benzoyl peroxide cream but none of these seem to work!
i also have spots and scars on my face but i never even touch my pimples. please help me.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lily, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the skin and advise you on the appropriate treatment regime.

The basic starting point for you would be to control the oil (sebum) that is being produced and the following will help:

Do not exfoliate or use rough scrubs as this will increase oil production
Use only oil free makeup
All topical products applied including your SPF should be oil free
Use oil free moisturizers that contain glycolic acid and other alphahydroxy acids
Wash your face gently twice daily that contains either glycolic or salicylic acid
I will use NeoStrata as an example:
Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF 15
Oil Control Gel
Clear Skin Solution
NeoCeuticals Clarifying Face Wash

By adding monthly glycolic acid peels the oil control effectiveness is boosted and one will experience other skin benefits too.

More information on these products, their ingredients, and how to use them can be obtained on my web page: www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za or go directly to http://www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za/neostrata.html and click on the products that interest you.