Question
Posted by: Curious | 2010/06/29

Oil saturation temperature

Hi, Doc

Given the fact of unsaturated oils being better for your health than saturated / trans fats, I was wondering if you could line out the saturation temperature of different oils (like sunflower, palm, olive,canola oils, etc.) in order for me to understand this role in health in the body, thus rather to cook with olive/canola oil than palm/sunflower oil?

Many thanks

Dear Curious
I must admit that I do not have data on the saturation temperatures of the various oils. However, certain oils such as avocado oil remain stable with no formation of trans-fats up to much higher temperatures than sunflower oil. It is also known that reheating oil repeatedly to high temperatures can increase the trans-fat content and that this practice should be avoided.

1

Dear Curious