Question
Posted by: Jolee | 2012/07/11

Oi Wheat

Dear Doc
I have a sensitive colon. So I stopped eating most obvious wheat products and lost weight and felt better. Then had gone back to eating wheat and felt terrible. 5 days now and no wheat and I feel so much better. I have been looking at plans as I need to lose about 20 kgs. I dont like sticking to a plan and prefer to just use my common sense but i have seen some plans listing peanuts, potato, rice and sweet potato and most fruit as ''no-no''s''. How many fruits should i be eating and can i eat potatoes and sweet potato and cous-cous instead of bread and pasta? I love fruit and cannot cut it out though I could do wihtout the other carbs.

Dear Jolee
From what you say, it is possible to you have a wheat allergy or sensitivity seeing that is makes you feel so poorly. Couscous which is made from wheat, is therefore out. If you are cutting out all wheat-containing foods then you will still require potato, brown rice, sweet potato, maize and maize meal to provide some carbs in your diet otherwise you may find that you lack energy to keep going during the day. The general rule of eating 5-a-day of fruit and vegetables can also be applied when you are slimming. Select at least 3 vegetables and 2 fruits a day. Add some daily activity such as brisk walking to your programme to encourage weightloss.

1

Dear Jolee