Question
Posted by: Lara | 2010-05-04

OH NO!!!!!!! Pls help!

My 8 month old Maltese is in heat for the fist time and although we would like to eventually have her have puppies we are well aware that it is too soon. We also have a 2.5 year old male. My husband and I have been watching them like hawks. They sleep separately and we are continuously behind them when they go outside to do their business. After 3 weeks of constantly watching them, to my shock and horror they got stuck about 10 minutes ago. I took my eye off them for literally a second, which is obviously what it took. Besides the fact that I am totally devastated, I would like to find out if my doggie will be ok. I really don''t want her to die or anything because of my negligence.

Can she get pregnant during her first heat, can her little body handle it if she does get pregnant. I am so upset right now.

Dear Lara

She can get pregnant. If you decide not to have pups you can have her spayed or she can go for an injection that will abort the pups.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-05-07

Dear Lara

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Katie | 2010-05-05

Although your dog might be ok medically this was a darn stupid and irresponsible thing to happen - plus what will happen to the puppies if there are any. Yes I know you will say you will find them the best homes in the whole wide world but all the breeders of the hundreds of cute white fluffy dogs that get euthanased all the time also said that. If you do not believe me go and take a walk round your spca and animal welfare kennels and you will see.

Reply to Katie
Posted by: Lara | 2010-05-05

Ok, spoke to the Vet. From all the info I gave him, he doesn''t seem to think it should be a problem, which is quite a relief. Must take her to the Vet in 4 weeks so he can do an ultrasound to see if she did, in fact, get pregnant. Will see!!

Reply to Lara