Posted by: Guji | 2009-07-20

Office Discrimination

I' m working for a very great company but my problem is my new manager who discriminates against us in the team. She' s new to our company and I' m not sure if she' s trying to prove a point or what. On the 1st of June 2009 I lost my laptop(stolen) and they gave me another one that gave be a lot of problems which made me to take it back and so foth. So I cudn' t finish my work bcos of that and I ended up been given a written warning by manager as if I was at fault. So now she &  her manager monitor every move I make, on Friday the 17th July 2009 I worked from home because I can' t take the pressure at work &  I had a terrible headache and I ended up going to the doctor.My managers'  manager then sent me a mail asking where I was &  I told him and he asked me who did I tell which I told him as well. And he asked me to put a sick leave in the system and I decided to logoff my machine because of that, if I put leave in the system why should I continue to work. On a daily basis we' ve got reporting meetings with our manager and when one of our team members hasn' t arrived she says nothing and when I' m not yet there I have to get calls about my whereabouts. So I think this is personal because if one makes mistakes he/she has to be given a verbal warning first. There' s one more team member who has never attended these meetings and he' s been invited but nothing has been said about this and he never responds to any emails we sent him. I feel that this is personal and it' s an unfair practice.

Please advice.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

The first step is to calmly compile a diary of events with a paper chase of evidence; read it all, create some strategy,calmly - make an appointment with HR - record all that is said and politely demand next steps with times and dates. Monitor and record all thattranspires.

Posted by: Hear You | 2009-08-18

I undestand what you are saying, these " Guys/Girls"  do it very diplomatically, so my only advice would be to " try and take it easy" . The " workplace expert"  gave some advice, but the problem with that is that these " Guys/Girls"  always seem to win. If you ask me these " Guys/Girls"  are insecure and are not prepared for change.

Reply to Hear You
Posted by: Christian | 2009-08-01

So you " loose"  a laptop and don' t bother to replace it from your own salary... and then you blame your new laptop' s dysfunction for not getting your work done, and then you decide to stay at home without putting in sick leave because you want to " work at home" ... How can you make this about discrimination when the problem clearly lies with you, ya lazy bastard!

Reply to Christian
Posted by: anon | 2009-07-28

So, you were asked to put in sick leave after you failed to show up for work because you didn' t feel like going..??
Those bastards! That really is " unfair practice" .

Reply to anon