Posted by: Lab Mom | 2010-03-25

off lead vs on lead

Hi All,

I have heard from numerous people that off-lead dogs might attack an on-lead dog while in a park setting.

Now, my dog is very well socialized and recently passed her canine good citizen test so I know she is good with other people and dogs, but her recall isn’ t what I’ d like it to be. She gets distracted by scents and as a result I don’ t feel comfortable letting her run off lead in the park –  especially if the park is busy.

Other dogs often come up to us to say hi and I’ m never quite sure how to handle this. If I drop the lead, do other dogs still see her as being on-lead or do have to quickly remove the leash when I see a dog coming up to us. The regulars are fine because it’ s a quick hello-sniff before moving on, but strange dogs tend to linger and I’ m especially nervous when more than one dog from the same household come over.

I trust my dog 100%, but it’ s the other dogs I’ m worried about. My dog was attacked once and it took a lot of work to get her back to normal.
How do you guys handle situations like this?

Dear Lab mon

I would walk with a large stick and try to get the dogs to go away if they do not look friendly. If your dog gets attacked while on the lead the owner will be fully responsible for the damages. If you know the dogs in the park, off lead running is always a good idea.

Posted by: Carla | 2010-04-07

I would rather say keep you dog on the lead because if something breaks out you have more control in a sense that she can''t run away as this would immidiatly set the other dog in attack mode.

Reply to Carla