Question
Posted by: Antoinette | 2011/05/19

Off HRT and diet

Hi Doc, I stopped a week ago taking HRT after a year. I am 55 years and so far doing well without it. I am following a healthy diet, but seem to battle to even loose a tiny bit. I also walk 30 min. every morning. Will it take time after HRT to loose weight and secondly how long before HRT works out of your system, does your body revert to the pre-HRT situation, re eg. water retention etc. Many thanks!

Dear Antoinette
I am not sure exactly how long it takes for the effects of female hormones used in HRT to wear off, because this can depend on the individual patient's reaction, the type of hormone used and the dosage. However, on average the effects should wear off relatively rapidly (a week or two) and then your body should revert back to your pre-HRT situation. This can of course mean that you may experience menopausal symptoms (e.g. hot flushes, sweating, etc), but you may find that it will be easier to lose weight.

1

Dear Antoinette