Posted by: Karen | 2009-06-04

Oestrogen Cream and Uterine Pessary

Hello Doc,

I have been reading some replies re Prolapsed Uteruses and would appreciate it if you could clarify a couple of issues for me. I am convinced I have this condition as it was diagnosed when I was 27, (I am now 46), however there was some doubt at the time as the diagnosis was changed to a spastic colon, when a second opinion was sought. I have lower back pain and some urinary incontinence, as well as the feeling of " something coming down"  at times - usually in the evening after a lot of exercise or when I am constipated. Pelvic floor exercises do not seem to help, and I would like to know if I can obtain the oestrogen cream and the uterine pessary ring without having to see a specialist. I am not on a medical aid and have limited funds. Thanks!

It is very easy for a doctor to diagnose uterine prolapse by examining you. You either have it or you do not.A pessary has to be inserted by a doctor as it has to be in a specific place, and oestrogen cream needs a doctor's prescription.