Posted by: Li-Anne | 2009-05-05

Oesophageal spasm?

Hi, I have been struggling to swallow for about 7 months now, and the ENT I have been seeing has done a Barium Swallow and gastrscopy, but can' t find the cause. He suggested it may be Oesophageal Spasm and mentioned there are tests to find out if this is the case. Can you tell me what type of doctor I need to see to do these tests to find out if this is what I have? Also, are there any cures or will this carry on for the rest of my life?

Dear Li-Anne
You need to see a Gastroenterologist. Please take your barium swallow and gastroscopy results with so that they don't do double tests. They may do a test where they measure the pressure in the esophagus - it is not painful, slightly uncomfortable though. See

This is treatable - see

Hope you get this sorted out, let me know how it goes?