Posted by: ME | 2013-01-12

Oesophagal reflux

Hi Diet doc
(I refer to my post under : Desperately hungry)
I have over the past few years suffered from acid reflux off and on. I have been treated with lanzor and altosec and nexium. The altosec really worked after a few months and then I was fine for about a year. Last year I had a lot of health issues both emotional and physical - we had an armed robbery and I was held at knifepoint. So I ended up with panic attacks and onto anti depressants etc.
In the last few months I have had bouts of reflux and gaviscon helped. Now I am getting it daily : morning, noon and night. It feels like a ball of oatmeal stuck in the back of my throat. It makes me nauseous and also sometimes I feel like I am hungry but I think my brain is sending the wrong signals which my body interprets as hunger pangs. I have now developed a scratchy throat and a cough.
Early september I had a gastroscopy and everything was fine. I am now trying Rani Hexal for the reflux. I don''t know what to do anymore.
Regarding my last post it was meant to be 1200 calories I am eating not kilojoules. But I am still hungry 1-3 hours after eating. I have a friend who is a nutritionalist and she said I must stop focussing on calorie intake rather on balanced meals. I felt perhaps even though I''ve been watching my calorie intake I am probably not having the correct food combination and not getting the correct quantities of protein/fat/carbs etc.
What Can I do about the reflux?

Dear Me
Thank you for clearing up the kilojoule vs kilocalorie question. I still think that 1200 kcal per day is too little even if you are trying to lose weight. The recommended energy intake for adult women who are trying to lose weight is 1500 kcal/day. All the symptoms you describe do indicate gastric reflux with a strong emotional component. My advice to consult a team of specialists is, therefore, still applicable: a) A gastroenterologist to help you control the gastric reflux; b) a clinical psychologist to assist you to regain your emotional balance after the stressful events of the past year (stress is one of the prime causes of excess acid production); c) a registered dietitian to help you with a balanced diet to also control your acid reflux and to assist with weightloss.
Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then do a Search for 'Gastric reflux' or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease' to read articles on this subject.

Posted by: Me | 2014-10-30

I am taking Altosec and I have noticed that I feel extremely hungry all the time whereas once meal for me was sufficient enough. Kindly advise whether this hunger is due to the altosec. Thank you.

Reply to Me