Question
Posted by: Dollie | 2010-08-11

OEFENING EN DIEETPLAN

Goeiedag
Ek oefen 6 dae per week (60min per dag). Cardio 4 dae en weights 2 dae. Ek doen dit noual vir ''''n maand maar het tot dusver slegs 1kg verloor. Ek moet so 10kg verloor. My dieet bestaan uit All bran in die oggende, provitas(7 per dag) en vrugte as ''''n snack deur die dag, eier op volgraanbrood in die middag en aande bruinrys met proteine en groente. Ek soek enige raad asb. Wat kan die rede wees dat ek nie verloor?
Baie dankie

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Posted by: Fitnessdoc | 6/7/2010
Hi Dollie

It is not too uncommon for people to struggle to lose weight early on. It happens for a number of reasons. One is that you often gain muscle mass from training and so even though you''re losing fat, you don''t lose overall. This is not a bad thing, and you just have to give it time - eventually, you will reach a good muscle mass and then your loss of fat will continue and you''ll lose weight.

That''s one reason. Another is diet. it sounds as though you are actually eating very little. And as strange as this may sound, if you eat too little, you struggle to lose weight, because your body goes into " saving"  mode.

So I suspect you may need to change your diet and that''s something you can only really do in consultation with a dietician.

You are training enough, you are training often enough, and so it''s just a matter of time, and possible a diet change, that will see you progress.

READER''S REPLY
Subject: RE: OEFENING en DIEETPLAN
Posted by: Doliie | 11/8/2010
Hi Dietdoc
EK is op die bogenoemde oefenprogram vir 3 maande en het nogsteeds niks verloor nie,maar my spiere voel baie fermer.Die probleem is net dat daar nogsteed vet om die spier is. Nou is my arms bv baie dikker en nie MAERDER nie.Watse raad kan jy my gee? Moet ek aanhou met die oefenprogram of dit verander? EK is regtig raadop. Baie dankie

Hi Dollie

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking? Is yours the last question? Why is the previous question and my reply part of the question? And it seems to be addressed to Dietdoc? I'll answer that last part, hopefully that's what you meant.

Your lack of weight loss is not a problem, as my previous answer suggested - it often happens that people don't lose weight on the scale even though they are getting fitter and leaner and more muscular. The fact that your muscles feel firmer is a sign that it is making an impact.

The problem about fat around the muscles is something that just takes time to work through. I don't know what you are doing in training, but you might need to increase the intensity of the training slightly in order to accelerate the weight loss, but that's something that comes with improved fitness. So my advice is that you must focus on fitness and not on the number on the scale. If you get fitter, then the other changes will come in time. But it does take longer. You've achieved the first step, which is increased lean muscle mass. The next step is to burn fat and that comes later and with fitness.

Also, diet is important and I'm not sure what you're doing here. It would be very good if you can see a dietician and make sure that you are eating well, not too little, not too much, and that your training is not being undone by a few diet 'errors'.

2
Posted by: Dollie | 2010-08-12

Thank you for the advice. Thats what I wanted to know.

Reply to Dollie
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-08-12

Hi Dollie

Reply to fitnessdoc