Question
Posted by: Elsabe | 2011/07/16

Oefening

Ek wil net graag weet. Ek het 7 weke terug lumbale spinale fusion gehad op verskeie vlakke en het op hierdie stadium al 7 kg verloor. My lyf lyk erg - pap en ek wil graag probeer om so gou as moontlik dit weer reg te kry. Wat kan ek doen. Ek stap baie op hierdie stadium want ek dra nog ''n rugstut tot daar na 3 mde vasgestel is dat die skroewe gefuse het. Ek het wel verskeie masjiene in my eie gim maar ek glo daar is heelwat wat ek nie nou meer sal kan gebruik nie. Ek het wel nog ''n stilstaande fiets asook ''n healthwalker waarvan ek seker later gebruik kan maak. Wat kan ek dan nog vir my aanskaf wat nie my rug gaan beskadig nie? Julle insae sal waardeer word. Groete

Hi Elsabe

I think given that you've come out of surgery, the safest is to speak to a doctor and just make sure that you're clear to exercise. I hate to pass the buck, but I could make a suggestion and it worsens things because you're not ready for it. So it's definitely best to see someone first, get the green light.

Generally, as long as you avoid excessive loads on the back you're ok. High impact like running or stepping or taebo probably needs more time, and cycling and rowing, because they can be hard on the back, also. But walking should be OK, depends on the situation. If you're at the gym, then the circuit should be ok except possibly for the exercises that involve loading the back - bending and flexing, that kind of thing. But arms and legs you should be able to do, things like leg extension and flexion, hamstring curls, biceps, shoulder press etc.

But as I said upfront, it's really important to see someone - you should probably be doing some rehabilitation under the guidance of a physio, at least initially.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/07/24

Hi Elsabe

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc