Question
Posted by: NH | 2008/09/10

Oefen vs Dieet

Hi Dok,

Ek oefen nou al van April by ' n Personal Trainer. Voordat ek by hom begin oefen het, het ek 51 kg geweeg. Nou weeg ek 55 kg. Ek is 25 jr oud, en is 1.58 m lank en het ' n klein bou. Die probleem is vandat ek begin oefen het, het ek meer kilogramme opgetel wat spiermassa is, maar hoe is dit moontlik dat my klere stywer sit? Ek het die mooiste paar jeans in Desember gekoop en nou pas dit nie meer nie. Kan dit wees omdat ek glad nie diet terwyl ek oefen nie? Enige raad asb??? Ek oefen 5 x per week (cardio en gewigte) - en is mal oor die oefening! Ek is glad nie ' n voorstaander van diet nie, maar wil asb net raad he wat ek kan doen.
Baie dankie.

Hi NH

First thing - I suspect that most of this mass is muscle mass. Is it possible that you've added 4kg of muscle? I'd say it probably is, in which case it's not a bad response to training. The clothing thing might be related to that, I'm not sure. You might be developing muscle in the upper legs, in which case those jeans would change their fit.

It is also possible, of course, that your diet is the problem, because it's not unheard of for people to sub-consciously eat a little more when they train. So certainly, it might help you to look at diet and just make sure you're not making this very common mistake. Having said that, I do think it might be muscle. In that case, perhaps you need to look at what you're doing in those personal trainer sessions - maybe you are focusing too heavily on the weight training, maybe lifting weights that are too heavy, causing a little too much muscle building. That's something for the Personal trainer to discuss.