Question
Posted by: hope | 2010/09/22

odds of a miscarriage after fetal heartbeat

hallo there. i had 2 mc - in dec and then a blighted ovum in april. i am now 8 weeks pregnant again. started spotting in the 5/6th week and went for ultrasound. the first one dr couldn''t see a heartbeat but also tested my hcg levels which went up. i then went agian in week 6 and saw the heartbeat! my question now is what is the chance of misscariage after we saw the heartbeat. i have had about 2 drops of spotting since then but nothing heavy. i can only see the dr in week 12 again. it''s killing me! stressed out at the moment!

Seeing the heartbeat is a good sign, but there are more factors which determine whether a miscarriage will occur or not, including the size and shape of the gestational sac, HCG levels, the reason for your previous miscarriages, etc. Unfortunately it is going to be a question of taking it a few days at a time.

3

Posted by: Purple | 2010/09/22

If you are spotting or baby is very small on the scan, ask that your progesterone levels be tested. If they are low, ask to be put on cyclogest.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: anon | 2010/09/22

im not a doctor but have been through a something similar. i went to the dr at 6weeks and all was perfect with the heartbeat visible. i then at 8weeks started spotting. i went to two drs as i was worried, and diagnosed as threatning miscarraige and got a fright. however, what was re-assuring it was explained to me that threatning miscarraige is just a name for unexplained bleeding during pregnancy, but does not necessarily mean miscarraige is on the way. the only thing the dr could do is to put me on utrostegan and send me on bedrest for two weeks. I consulted again at 10weeks, and baby was perfectly there moving around and heartbeat clearly visible. At this time the spotting stopped. So what i just want to say, the fact that you are spotting does not equal miscarraige. Be positive, take care of yourself, rest, avoid straneos activities. A sign of a heartbeat in my opinion is always reassuring.

Reply to anon