Question

ODD student

I have a student who has been diagnosed with ODD. I have read every book on it and gone to every workshop  I have implemented escape strategies for him, never confront him, provide praise that is not over the top, etc etc etc

He refuses to learn.

I have never come across a child who REFUSES to learn. He would rather sit and stare at the wall instead of attempting work he and I know he is capable of doing. After a month, I''m sure he has memorised every piece of the wall, but we''re no closer to learning anything or even complying with attempting a worksheet.

My personal thought is that his parents need to jump on board and provide some consequences at home for not participating in class  however, his parents are convinced that this will send him completely out of control.

Please help me, I do not want to be yet another teacher on his long list who have given up on him. I must admit though that my patience is wearing thin.

By ODD I presume you mean Oppositional Defiant Disorder, a rather little-known and not altogether accepted diagnosis. Such a diagnosis can ONLY be made properly by a consultant / specialist child psychiatrist or child psychologist - and if this was done, what treatment and management did that shrink recommend ? You sound like a most unusually and admirably interested and dedicated teacher, but I don't think such a condition can be managed by any plan in the class-room UNLESS, as you suggest, the parents are entirely involved in managing things at home in in a congruent manner. Just as discipline and therapy at home is impotent unless both parents agree and are singing from the same hymn sheet. Or maybe work sheet !
Such a kid may find his sole source of satisfaction is in being defiant and in defeating all teachers and all in authority who he encounters. Whichever shrink made the diagnosis should be working with you and the parents to draw up a master plan to try to control the situation.

3
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2011/02/24

Sounds like the making of a criminal to me.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Mother | 2011/02/24

Dear Teacher
You are a credit to your profession. If all teachers had your commitment what a country we would have. Hope CS can help.
All l can offer is my total admiration.

Reply to Mother