Posted by: Catherine | 2013-01-30

Odd sensations in heart area?

I have this weird sensation, I think it is my heart... I feel all adrenalin rushy basically all the time lately due to heavy stress. Now and then I get this ripple feeling, or almost like an in and then out ripple feeling (don''t know how to explain) like the heart stops and starts. I have no pain, nothing. My heart rate is ok, but I do notice it all the time. These ripple feelings also appears to be related to breathing, I feel like my sinuses open up and I stop breathing a bit (like heavy concentration), this all sounds strange but I can''t explain. I do have tachycardia moments as well. I also noticed the sensation is not always in the exact same spot. Generally top middle of my chest and slightly left, around the breast area.

As a child I had it a few times, but doctor said nothing was wrong and I had tachycardia, but it is back and scaring me. What scares me most is that I have no medical aid as I have been retrenched two years ago, and am flat broke, I can''t find work. I just wish I could get an idea if this is dangerous.

A good way to describe it is when you are pregnant and your baby gives one kick, it feels almost like that, or a muscle ripple. swallowing also brings it on sometimes... very odd description but best I can do. I am 36! Female. and yes, I smoke and drink coffee.....

Thanks for your time

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Catherine

One thing we can be sure of is that what you are describing is not dangerous. You have had it before, as a child, and it did you no harm. The symptoms sound as though most of them are stress related, but you may be having what are known as premature beats, when your heart gives a premature beat and then pauses briefly to compensate. People describe this in different ways, but in the vast majority of people it is completely harmless. All your other symptoms do not sound heart related and sound as if they are due to stress.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes, JT