Posted by: Just wondering | 2009-08-10

ODD et all

Dear CS

Not referring to the recent post on ODD where there is an obvious problem that goes deeper than just behaviour...

Dont you think parents and adults alike use a term like ODD to make an excuse for ill disciplined brats of all ages? I jsut somehow cannot get my head around that being a mental condition. It sounds to me like just being a plain oldfashioned selfish critter (adults) and an undisciplined child (children).

I dont disagree that some children are more challenging to discipline (and I mean correct and coach - not just hit,) due to their inate temperament but surely not all more difficult children are going to end up classified as ODD. With the correct parental influence their rough edges can be smoothed to make the dynamic adults (as opposed to the milder natured counterparts).

So my question is this: Is ODD and anti social disorder not just cop-out labels because we are to pc to call the behaviour what it really is.

Yes indeed, one product you can always sell is an excuse for bad behaviour. No, I'm not a thug who enjoys hurting people, I have a violence problem ( no, thug, WE have a problem with YOUR violence ) --- well, then, I have an Unprovoked Violence Disorder.
I believe that NOT providing a child with a sensible system of discipline, and encouraging self-discipline and awareness of the rights and needs of others is in itself a form of child abuse. If there is a true mental / neurological disorder in there, it would be one that makes it somehow impossible for a child to learn the simple rules of disciplne, and thus impossible to diagnose until several skillful attempts had ben made to devise a disciplinary system and structure within which the child could develop that.
I agree that hitting kids has nothing to do with discipline, but is more an expression of the indiscipline of the frustrated parent. And we need to recognize that often when the obvious symptoms lie in the misbehaviour of the child, the cause may lie in the problems and misbehaviour of the parents.
But there is such a thing as anti-social Personality Disorder, or whatever you wish to mcall it ( in the old days, one would call it Evil ) --- there are some people who behave like a separate species unable or at least extremely unwilling to see any of the rest of us as having the same rights and needs, and viewing us rather as prey. People who can be enormously sensitive to their own sense of hurt and pride, but not acknowledging that anyone else either matters or feels hurt and pain. And these people start to show aberrant behaviour while young.
These are the kids who, perhaps even superficially well-behaved so far as their parents are aware, take pleasure in killing and torturing animals, have nasty private pleasures like setting fires, and so on.
"who made the boo boo" may even be one of them

Posted by: trust your doctor | 2009-08-11

Yip " who made the boo boo"  sounds pretty antisocial, i wonder why? born that way or created by other people?

Reply to trust your doctor
Posted by: who made the boo boo | 2009-08-10

who the f. u. .c .k cares

Reply to who made the boo boo