Posted by: Zama | 2011-11-01

Odd Case of Tonsils

Dear Dr,

I have had a problem with my tonsils for 10 years and I''ve just recently found out that I now have four (4) tonsils. Could you please explain to me if this has ever happened or am I turning into some creature.

I want to remove them cause they occassionally come back and painful.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Zama

One has tonsillar tissue at the back of your nose (adenoids), in the throat, (x 2) and at the back of your tongue.
The adenoids generally disappear at the age of 12 years. Sometimes the tonsils in the throat are so big they become lobulated, and may appear as more than one tonsils, but as a matter of fact all the tonsil tissue in your upper throat is connected and is known as Waldyer's Ring. It may appear that you have four tonsils. I suggest you see your ENT and discuss removal if it is indicated.