Question
Posted by: SISTER | 2010/07/08

OCD/ANOREXIA

Good Day Doc, My niece has OCD,is on Cipralex, she is 18 now and apparently has been on a strict diet since Feb. Wont even eat an egg(it has fat in it) and only eats tiny portions.Lost 10kg and was slim anyway. Could it be the meds or OCD linked to Anorexia? My other sister got extremely thin on an anti depressant once and i know side effects said to be careful of anorexia. Thanks!

Its not clear from your message - is this strict diet her own idea, rather than advised by her doctor ? SOunds very much like serious Eating Disorder / Anorexia, which of course includes many obsessive features. Is it only food / diet / size and shape that she is obsessive about, or are there other things that are included among her obsessions ?
I do hope that she is being treated by a proper specialist psychiatrist, and no by a GP, as the situation sounds far too complex to be managed optimally by a GP.
Gaining weight on antidepressants is a more common complaint than losing weight when on them - and either way, the weight change is not related to odd and strongly felt opinions about what one should or should not eat. This is not at all likely to be a drug effect.

2
Posted by: SISTER | 2010/07/09

Thanks for the reply. She refuses anything with any fat/sugar in and eats tiny portions. She does see a psych and therapist. My sister feels until she recongises the problem, there''s not much she can do but she is panicking about it. The last obsession was cleaning hands and wouldnt eat anything she didnt wash herself. Strangely, my son also has severe OCD,don''t know where it comes from,they are the only 2 in our family.

Reply to SISTER