Question
Posted by: Obsessed | 2012/08/06

OCD

Dear Shrink

I have a problem which is causing me great distress at times, and I am convinced it must be OCD.

Often when I do things, such as visiting a website on the Internet and then exiting it, I get these bad thoughts and fears that something might happen to my loved ones. I would imagine that they get hurt in various ways and then I fear that it will happen because I had the thought as I did that action. The result is that I will go back to re-open the website time and again until I think of better things and make myself feel better. It can last for hours at times. I would go and do something else but still worry about it and then return to my computer to sit with the same problem again until I eventually make peace with it somehow or rationalise it.

I know it is so silly and that something like that would not determine what happens to my loved ones, but there is this fear that if I don''t re-do the action with better thoughts, what IF it then happens to them.

I will appreciate your help in this regards.

Thank you.

Indeed, this sounds very like OCD. Though individual details vary, there are a few major themes that commonly turn up in these fears - often the uneasy feeling that if you do something in the wrong way, some harm will come to you, or someone you care about. Its a nasty kind o magical thinking. And one developes rituals, things you do to reduce or evade the imagined ( but completely convincing ) dangers. And even though one intellectually recognizes these thoughts as silly, they still are deeply bothering.
Fortunately, this condition usually responds really well the proper treatment. See a psychiatrist for a full assessment and confirmation of the diagnosis, and then discuss treatment options. Some medications also used to treat depression, can be extremely helpful, as can a form of counselling called CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and you could usefully be referred to a psychologist to provide this, as the combination can be particularly useful.
Imagine how many pleasant and useful things you can do with the time and mental energy currently used up by these worries, when this is cleared up !

1