Question
Posted by: janki | 2012/04/24

OCD

hey there Doc... So i have a mild case of OCD.. I have read a lot about it so i now know that it is for sure ocd.. In whicjh ways can I help myself to overcome ocd, without going to a psychologist? because my case is just mild, it is not interfering drastically with my daily life...But iwould like to be cured from OCD because it is irritating and it has no use really. I just wish for it to go away. Please let me know how i can learn it off. Thank you

Its not necessarily a questio of curing yourself, but of learning how to control the symptoms, the obsessions and compulsions, so as to not allow them to limit your enjoyment of life.
There are no simple programs one can just pick up to enable one to do this on one's own, though if you check on the websites, there are some self-help books based on CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) models which seem to be helpful for some people. Best of all, though, would be to see a proper psychologist who can provide a personalized CBT program designed just for you, in which, without it taking a very long time, you can learn how to control the unhelpfulm habits of thought and behaviour that constitute OCD - the the added benefit that you can then use these learned techniques in the future should the problem become more troublesome.

1