Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2011/09/24

OCD

I am suffering with OCD. I am on antidepressants, but I think it influences my thinking, but I am not sure. I hate this condition since I am intelligent and want to get on with my life, but somehow OCD ruins everything. I can ignore it up to a point. At the moment I am a scientist, but I feel I do not enjoy science anymore as I did before. My life seems to have turned out worse and more confusing than I wanted it to turn out no matter what I do/did. I am always in the position of feeling helpless. For example it always happens that I become in love with a woman that has a boyfriend who very likely does not have this condition. I do not get to meet many women and I cannot help who I like. All I want is to be normal. Is it impossible for me to live a sort-of normal life? I know many OCD people are single. Is there support or must I just accept the fact that I will be sad and lonely forever, because I cannot constantly cope with this condition and although I know this is crazy it still affects me negatively.IS IT POSSIBLE TO LIVE WITH THIS THING? I did not ask for this thing and somehow it always wins. Due to this, I find it hard to enjoy life and in actual fact I don''t even want it to be necessary for me to be on medication.

I always prefer to see OCD dealt with by such drug treatment PLUS CBT psychotherapy, as the combination is likely to be more effective.
Maybe you haven't yet found the most suitable AD. They don't generally influence your thinking in a general or intrusive way, but obviously if they life a depression you'd be thinking in less habitually depressed ways, and if they help to relieve OCD, one would be thinking less obsessively.
The CBT is excellent at changing unhelpful habits of thoughtand to help you both control the unpleasant symptoms and find better ways to live with the remnants of these. The drugs help to reduce the impact of the condition, but the psychotherapy helps with the other aspects you sensibly recognize, the problems in living which it causes, and so I recommend you explore that, too.
I don't know whether SADAG ( the depression and anxiety support group ) has specnfic support groups for OCD, though they should - check with them, and even one of their more general support groups could be helpful for you

2
Posted by: Pedro Breetzke | 2011/12/21

I suffer from OCD.It is driving me CRAZY!!1

Reply to Pedro Breetzke