Question
Posted by: Deon | 2011/07/15

OCD?

I am suspecting that my wife has OCD. She vacuums the house every second day, washes dishes constantly and is super neat. During a recent holiday she mentioned one night at dinner that she misses the home and to do some laundry!!! It is busy effecting my happiness as I am unable to be myself at home, as I am constantly scared of making something dirty etc. She is very prescriptive as to what I may or may not do at home. We are planning kids in the next year but worry that this only aggrevate the situation. She is also extremely moody and the smallest of things will let her blow up. What must I do?

Short of OCD, which is a significant disorder, some of us have an obsessive personality ( part of life's rich patterns, and most of us have a personality of some sort, after all ! ) And we vary somewhat in WHAT we tend to be obsesive about. Only if the obsessiveness significantly interferes with someone's ability to function well in work or personal life, might it be a disorder.
Does SHE consider that this is a problem ? Does it cause problems for her which she recognizes ? If so, maybe it'd help for her to be persuaded to see a shrink for assessment and advice as to whether treatment would be worth considering.
As it is, you are probably lucky to have in your company someone who a few decades ago would have been considered "house-proud" and considered a paragon !

2

Posted by: Sam | 2011/07/15

You have a normal wife, and in my opinion, you can be damn lucky you found one who cleans so much! Now days most women are so lazy their husbands have to force them to do the smallest thing. When she has kids she''ll calm down a bit, no human can keep up the cleaning after them, and then you''ll feel like you can relax a little more around the house.

Reply to Sam