Question
Posted by: worried and concerned | 2009-12-20

OCD

I think my son (aged 22) has OCD ( I am almost certain)..... He has had it for quite a long time but it seems to be getting worse and affecting all areas of his life. He is a student (doing his 5th and final year in 2010). I am so worried about him and how it will affect his life.....
Please tell me what his options are....... I have suggested many times going to seek professional help.

Warm regards

" mom" 

It's possible, of course, and such condition if unrecognized and untreated can become more complex and troublesome. HE really needs to see a ood local psychiatrist ( perhaps there's someone he could see available through Student Health ? ) for a proper in person assessment, and then a iscussion of treatment options. CBT style counselling / therapy can be very effective, as can some medications, including some also used to treat Depression. Talk it over gently with him, and try to understand why he feels reluctant to see someone about his - he would probably appreciate feeling better and working more efficiently, after treatment

1