Question
Posted by: samdt | 2012-11-08

obsessive/compulsive overeating

Dear Doc
As I sit here writing to you I am beyond desperate. I am a 40 year old female, 1.72m tall and I weigh 155.2kg. I read the articles on Health24 on binge eating disorder and I am a text book case. I have 2 toddlers and am pertrified that I am going to eat myself to death very soon. It is getting worse and worse and I am loosing total controll. I devour huge amountsof food ( ANYTHING will do - to the point of feeling physically sick. Even then I will try to stuff in just one or 2 more bites. I know all the healthy eating do''''s and don''''ts but just can''''t stick to any form of healthy eating plan. I get so frustrated as I have an IQ in excess of 140 but can just not figure my way out of this downward spiral. It is like a huge monster - I ekep chopping off heads but each time 2 grows back in its place. I am really really fearing for my life. What on earth am I going to do? Realised to my great shock that even gastric banding etc would not work as I would just keep on stuffing in food despite feeling stuffed. That is if I could afford such an op. My mdical aid would not pay for it. What on earth am I going to do!!!!! i am scared

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Samdt,
Yes, it certainly does sound like you suffer from the compulsive eating disorders called Binge Eating Disorder. The key is for you to implement a manner of eating that is moderated. Get onto a regular meal plan of three meals and three snacks spaced evenly through the day. Do not focus on losing weight, but rather getting into a regular, well-moderated lifestyle and keeping a journal of how you are feeling emotionally. Much of what I can advise you is in an excellent book by a leading world authority, Dr. Christopher Fairburn, called Overcoming Binge Eating. It is excellent and can be ordered online from places like Kalahari.com. Get it and follow the guidelines and work steps he outlines. I've a few dozen copies of the book that I lend to my patients, and I am normally not a fan of self-help books.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Leila | 2012-11-22

Although Im not the doc I can give you some advice! :) Please dont despair! Thats the first thing. Secondly, can you figure out what is causing you to want to eat so much food?

Reply to Leila