Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-21

obsessive skin picking

Hello there, Im a 30 year old woman, have always been a very nervous person and later on in life due to a rape and perhaps other factors devoloped strange obsessive compulsions, hand and body washing, this started about 10 years ago, i have given fluoxetine at that time. In the ten years i stopped taking it for about 2 years and was alright until someone in the family died, i was put on fluoxetine, and thereafter cilift as doctor thought this would be effective in treating my anxiiety. About a year ago or two ago i started picking at pimples and marks on my body, particularly my breasts and upper arms. It looks horrible and it is especially bad when im feeling stressed and anxious. Sometimes i pick at it until it bleeds, i feel so afraid that im doing harm unto myself for the long term. I have seen a psycologist but am moving work premises and need to find a new one closer to the premises. I have not told the psycologist of this, it is only my family who knows. Please help. thanks so much.

You seem to be describin an OCD, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and fluoxetine is one of the treatments that can be helpful here, as can other drugs, and CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Disorder is excellentl;y effective in treating this condition. The skin-picking is a variety of this disorder, which may do better with CBT than with the usual meds. Unless the psychologist can provide CBT or at least some form of it, they might not be useful. The Anxiety-Depression support group, and maybe FAMSA, may be able to recommend a therapist in your new area, who can provide this