Question
Posted by: Brian | 2011/08/11

obsessions

Hi there, does this sound like an obsessive disorder?
Say i buy the 3rd book in a series, i cannot read it UNTIL i have ALL the others, and i obsess till i get them. I maybe buy a computer game in a range, say 2nd in the series, i can''t touch it till i get all of them. Books/music/games released earlier HAVE to be read ''before'' those released later! Same goes for music CD''s, clothing, and wotnot. If i own one, i obsess constantly, and lose alot of awareness concerning whats going on around me, till i get them, only then am i satisfied. And often, once i have all, i forget about them and mostly don''t even use them!
Apologies for so long a text, Thanks for your time and advice
Brian.

Doesn't it depend ? In some of the movie and game series, making sense of part 4 doesn't necessarily depend on knowing all of parts 1 to 3. In books, it may do so to a greater degree.
But, as others ask, why buy these things out of order ? Start with the first in the series, and if you really don't enjoy it, there's no point in getting the sequels.
I'm not sure I understand how you apply this degree of obsessiveness ( more an obsesive character / personality than a disorder, unless this really keeps you awake at night !) to clothing. Can you not wear a T-shirt until you have every different colour in which it is produced ? What an expensive way of life !
You sound similar to what are called "Completists", such as people who would call themselves opera lovers, who want a copy of EVERY recording ever made of a particular opera, regardless of whether they're any good, and without necessarily listening to them all.

2

Posted by: Obvious really!!!!!!!!! | 2011/08/11

Reading the third book in a series would be stupid so you are right to not read them out of order. When you have the set it probably seems like too much to do.

The obvious question here is why are you buying them out of sequence? Would it not be easier to purchase them in the correct order and finish the first one then buy the next one?

Reply to Obvious really!!!!!!!!!