Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2012-02-14

Obsession with what''s underneath the couch, bed, cupboard

My Mini Daschund has taken a sudden interset in my couches and sits and stares and scratches at the couch as though there is something underneath or inside. It became so bad that I evenyually cut open the couch underneath to see if anything was inside. There is not. He is now obsessed with not only that couch, but the other too, and my bed and cupboard. Sniffing and scratching continuously. I took him to a friend''s house and he did the same to her couch. It''s very bizarre. What do you think he''s thinking?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Leanne, it sounds as if he once found something there and is convinced he will find again. This could also be stressed related and is in danger of becoming an obsessive behaviour, which you need to stop.
Start taking the dog out for regular walks - not only will this provide regular exercise, it will stimulate mentally. vary your walks daily to bring in more interesting surroundings.
Start to supply a few chew toys daily, varying them all the time. Things such as a rawhide chew bone with a little bit of peanut butter smeared inside to promote interest (organic if possible, p.butter in large amounts can be toxic to dogs). Check out some of the great new Kong toys on the market where you can put the dogs food, biscuits etc inside. These keep the dogs busy for ages trying to get food out.
If you have a garden, supply a digging pit. The breed are natural diggers/ratters and this will supply interest and help with boredom as well as satisfy dogs natural tendencies.
Use management in your own home by way of using a spray bottle of water to which about 10 drops of pure citronella oil have been added - spray this on the areas the dog is sniffing/scratching in to make the area unapplealing - bonus is you get rid of mosquitoes!
If the behaviour does not improve with above or the dog starting being obsessive with something else, please get in touch with a professional. The last thing you want is OCD. If this happens, please just contact me with where you live and I will put you in touch with somebody. Also have a look at how to make a digging pit for a dog in my free website www.friendsofthedog.co.za. Good luck and shout if your having any more problems, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-02-15

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert