Question
Posted by: Cruz | 2009-09-01

Obsession - going crazy

Please help me. I have totally lost it.
I am 38 years old. I have been diagnosed with OCD and depression (5 years ago) and have been in and out of therapy ever since. Recently, I will have something happen and I just cannot let go. Like my step-child will say something which hurts and I cannot think of anything else but how I can get back at her. It will eat up my entire day. All I will do is google her, and think about the situation - ALL day! And then I begin hating myself. Please help me. I am so losing it. I want a normal life where I don' t have to think too much.
It is easy for people to say oh just stop playing it over in your mind or get over it. But it really is not. Please help me.

I wonder what sort of therapy you have been in and out of. It if has been psychoanalytically based, then you would be best served to get out of it and to stay out of it --- there is no good evidence that it is of value in the treatment of anything at all. However, there IS good evidence that specifically CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour therapy ) is effective in managing Depression, and that it is useful in OCD, too. Similarly, drugs used for the treatment of Depression are also useful in OCD. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able, with the proper advice of a skilled shrink, to regain control of this OCD and depression ( the overlap between their effective methods of treatment is convenient ). You CAn do this. But avoid psychoanalytic or other wishy washy "therapists:" like the plague.