Posted by: Diet obsessed | 2011-03-22

Dear Dr. Graham

When I was little my mother always told me I needed to lose weight,when I was in high school I abused laxatives until they did not have an effect on me anymore. Since then I had become obsessed with diets and eating disorders. I would only buy a mag if there was an article about ed or diets. The first thing I think about when I wake up is food and how to go the day without eating. It upsets me because I cant go out for dinner without feeling anxcious about food. I live alone so normally it is not a problem but only if I am around other people,that makes it hard not to eat. I dont want to be like this because I suffer from depresion and this makes me even more depressed. I NEED HELP PLEASE!! Do I have an Eating disorder????

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello "Diet Obsessed",
Sorry for my late response, but I have been away. Luckily another reader has already posted you a short response with some worthy and good advice, so thank you, Ilke. You really do appear to have a longstanding obsessive relationship with food, and your early history of laxative abuse is indicative of an eating disorder. The label is less important than the decision you need to make to try and escape the trap you appear to be caught in right now. I understand that your weight obsession is longstanding and stems from messages you received from your parent. However, you need to have the courage as an adult to now change your scrip to life and try and approach your lifestyle in a new way. It might be helpful for you to consult with a therapist to assist you in this process. You also sound extremely anxious and some therapy may help you address these feelings. Medication might be an adjunct to consider. Dietetic advice might also lessen your anxiety if you have someone professional guiding new and healthy moderated eating habits. I am not sure where your weight is at present, but a dietician will be able to help you stabilize and maintain a normal weight range if you eat properly. Getting back to your therapy, you will need to first look at implementing some real lifestyle changes, but underneath the surface there are likely some entrenched issues that need to be addressed and eventually resolved in order to allow you to live a more free life. Best of luck.

Posted by: Ilke | 2011-03-28

The only way to keep your weight stable &  enjoy eating (and life!) is to see food in perspective  it is essential to eat regularly and it is possible to reach a point where you can eat regularly (six smaller meals/snacks a day) without gaining weight  you''ll feel so much better if you do not diet and regard food as the necessity that it is - moderation is the key!

Reply to Ilke