Posted by: mowzy | 2009-08-27

Hi Diet Doc

i am so obsessed with weight loss. I have 30kgs to lose ( bmi says am obese as weigh 95 and am 1.58). I have started going to gym ( once a day starting at 40 minutes and building up to 1.5 hours). I have weetbix in the morning, fruit at 10:00, lunch is a mic from our work salad bar normally mix eggs, a bit if tuna, some beans, some chicken strips, chilli etc. I am not sure what dressing goes into these but the chilli is soaked in olive oil (I think). I will then have a fruit at around 3 pm. Supper is meat and veg or just meat or meat and whole grain slice. i have about 3-4 cups of tea or coffee with milk and canderel throughout the day. also have fanta or coke zero from time to time. could I lose weight if i kept this up?

Dear Mowzy
With a BMI of 38 it is certainly a good idea to start losing weight. The exercise will help with the weightloss, but to obtain the most efficient weightloss you also need to eat an energy-reduced, low-fat diet. Because you have so much weight to lose I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a veyr-low fat diet. Otherwise discuss the use of Xenical with your medical dr. Xenical stops you from absorbing fat from the foods you eat so this automatically lowers your energy intake (each gram of fat you don't eat, saves you 37 kJ!). You should use Xenical with a very-low-fat diet to get the best results - the diet you describe is not as low in fat as it could be. You could use the Xenical to get you started on the right track and then just stick to the low-fat diet and your exercise.
Holding thumbs that you start losing plenty of weight.