Question

Obessive

Good day doc,
My husband and I have been trying to conceive for more than 2 years. We are now starting with fertility treatments. I am not handling it well at all. I have become absolutly obsesive about the whole thing. I read everything I can and then my poor husband needs to do his part with a drop of a hat. I feel very bad about the whole thing, but I just cant stop myself. I wish I can relax and just let things happen, but that is so not in my personality. I need to be in control of everything and if something is not in my control...I obses about it.

This happens so easily when there are fertility problems, and maybe the more so as many treatments involve hormones which in themselves often disturb ones mood. It would be a very good idea to see a psychologist for assessment and counselling, to help you relax and stop trying so desperately to control the uncontrollable. The irony is that fertility is usually reduced by anxiety and such self-imposed stress, so that trying too hard may be less likely to succeed, and counselling that helps you to be more relaxed about it, may actually increase your chances of achieving pregnancy

2
Posted by: Romany | 2011/09/13

I had friends many years ago with similar problems. They went every single possible route to conceive and spent thousands. She too was so obsessive about it, in fact they both were....
They gave up eventually as nothing happened and the Drs could find nothing wrong with either of them. tThey bought more dogs and decided to accept their fate.
Within one year she fell pregnant and they eventually ended up with four boys and one girl. Probably would have had more if he did not have a vasectomy...
Relax, it will not happen while you are obsessing. And good Luck !

Reply to Romany